[SGVLUG] Plone

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Jul 19 17:45:28 PDT 2005

OK, I experimented with Plone a bit, and it's not as bad to install as I
thought (he said dishonestly, having let apt-get do all the work).  I'm
going to have to leave it for a bit, but since we have Zope/Plone types on
this list I wanted something cleared up if there is an easy answer.

I have it as far as getting Zope running, adding the Plone component, and
creating a Plone instance, so it looks like there is a website stub there.
Two things bother me: one is that it isn't working through apache yet, but
I haven't tried that and I suppose at worst I can ignore that for now.
More worrisome, though, is the fact that though I recall being prompted
for a password it seems any connection to the Zope port is automagically
logged in as my admin user.  I suspect there is some configuration thing I
missed, but for those of you who have used Zope/Plone, what is the
security model supposed to be?  I don't dare open up the Zope port or let
apache pass requests through until I am confident that user accounts are
working.

Basically, I regard the test as a failure if I can't have it set up to
allow anyone to create an account with user privileges and me to bump them
up to administrator.  It's fine for now if I have to activate new accounts
by hand, but not if I create them from scratch (too much of a
psychological barrier).  Having the server email me when new accounts are
created would be nice, but not necessary.

Anyway, I still have to try to read up on this, but if there is a simple
answer that would tell me what I'm looking for, I'd appreciate it.

Dustin