[SGVLUG] Database security for "sql" databases

John Riehl jcriehl at mail.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 15 14:09:36 PDT 2005

Emerson, Tom wrote:
> I'm trying to determine and/or validate that the proper permissions have been "granted"

It depends on the database.

usually, there is a command to show all the information (e.g. show).
Check your manual.

almost all sql databases store this information in its own internal
tables.  the names of these internal tables vary from db to db. select *
from table.....

all sql databases that I know allow a admin to dump out the database
into a stream of sql statements that recreates it.  (e.g. mysqldump
--all-databases ).  if you pipe that to a file, then browse it, you
should be able to discern the table that is used to store privledges, as
well as all the data in it.  you might not need to dump all databases to
see what you want, but you can usually back up the data you want and
then view it.

jr
john riehl