[SGVLUG] Apache + Perl configuration

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 15 09:45:24 PDT 2005

I'm short of time to hack around with the test WebGUI site I am supposed
to be doing for the LUG, so I'm going to bounce this off the list earlier
than I usually would.

WebGUI is written entirely in Perl.  It recommends using mod_perl rather
than CGI, so I attempted to set it up that way, though I'm not familiar
with mod_perl.  After having followed the quick-install instructions I
pointed my browser at WebGUI as directed, but the perl is *not* rendered;
rather, I'm asked if I want to open the .pl file in less or download it to
disk.

This seems to me to be an Apache config problem, not a WebGUI install
problem, and a quick scan of the web suggests I'm not the first to hit
this snag.  I have to do more web searching on this, but since it would be
nice to keep moving quickly on the system tests (opinions are starting to
coalesce on the three I've already installed and we will lose momentum if
the web team doesn't get some fresh meat) and I won't be able to do it
this morning and probably not this afternoon, I thought I'd bounce it off
the list now and see if any of you can give me some useful clues.

This is on a fairly stock Debian Sarge install of the relevant software,
and a current stable version of WebGUI downloaded from their home page.

Dustin