[SGVLUG] PHPWebSite test themes

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Jul 12 10:07:44 PDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> Actually, my browser of choice under linux is Konquerer, but I don't
> think there is a windows port...

So you revert to IE rather than use firefox, mozilla, Opera, Epiphany,
Galleon, Dillo, links2 (which actually can do FB graphics), even lynx....

Obviously I need to do a "Cool Tools" talk titled "From normal person to
committed zealot in five minutes", or maybe "Radical Eye For The Moderate
Guy." :-)

> yes -- I was thinking about it on the drive to work and realized that
> this is exactly counter to what we, as an advocacy group, should do --
> we WANT people to view our site with IE because they are our "potential
> converts"

In addition, it's conceivable that a Linux user might end up viewing the
site in IE somehow--even a long-time user...even a former LUG leader...

> ...while it's a bit of a chuckle for an experienced user to
> get trapped by a mere theme,

It's a "funny once" joke, happening to one of us.  Not funny the second
time it is annoying, not funny the first time if it happened to some
people.  Aside from anything else, it looks like it wasn't a mistake but
rather a deliberate choice on our part....

> not sure -- I was going from the top on down, I know I got past "cool",
> but I wasn't really paying attention to theme names when I ran into
> this -- perhaps a grep against the theme directory for "browsehappy"
> would find the culprit...

Yes, it would have:

debug/theme.php:
} elseif (stristr($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],'MSIE')) {
   header('Location: http://browsehappy.com/');
} else {

> actually, since I'm at work, I just created another account and checked.
> the one that clobbered me was "debug" (and since I cannot get back to
> the site to change it or even log out, I'd sure appreciate it if you
> could reset this for me -- if that's not possible, kill my accounts
> and I'll restart anew...)

OK, I tried to duplicate the behavior with Firefox's User Agent switcher
set to IE, but it didn't work, oh well.

That theme is a miserably ugly piece of junk that looks like (and is named
like) a learning project that shouldn't have escaped into the wild, but
it's gone now.

So, how do you like the new default theme?  I thought it makes PHPWebSite
look about 1000% better and more like a worthy alternative to Mambo than
the default theme, which is way too cartoony for me with it's simple solid
colors and uninspired graphic.

Dustin