[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 11 02:40:51 PDT 2005

???  Since when is the "table" tag complex?

> For my personal site, I use the linuxdoc markup ...

That's all well and good, but as you point out, it would mean
The maintainers would need to learn "yet another language"
(simple or otherwise)

> I think that the site should be simple enough so that anyone
> that knows the rudiments of html can maintain it.

Actually, here is what I've found of the packages we've "evaluated"
(and ine we haven't)

  * Mambo: requires ZERO knowledge of HTML!  The editor boxes
           have buttons and other things to "do the work for you"
           (like bold/italic/underline, and yes, even tables)

  * Twiki: requires intimate knowledge of HTML and/or "pseudo-html"
           (such as *bold*) as defined by the wiki software itself.

  * Phpwebsite: dunno.  Dustin has made me an admin, but I cannot figure
           out how to actually change anything on a page.

  * Movable Type: (not actually evaluated on his site, but I've used
           it for my site)  requires SOME knowledge of HTML if
           you intend to do anything other than a default design.
           While very similar to Mambo, the editor doesn't do the
           work for you.

> think that text browsers like lynx should work OK with it.

Hnnn... Is there a "lynx" template/theme available for Mambo?