[SGVLUG] Mambo (templates, junk items, superadmin)

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 8 17:16:11 PDT 2005

OK, folks, after I went a bit crazy trying to figure out where the
"template manager" mentioned in the docs might be, I got smart and
re-logged in as the superadmin.  Turns out that template management is one
of those things only the superadmin can do.  As a slight test I changed
the default template to JavaBean and the default admin template as well.
I could also have edited the JavaBean/index.php file directly from there
rather than the command line.

Tthis is also where you install new templates/modules/components
(answering my earlier muttering).  Now you'll see two new templates that I
installed to test this, brazen_ascend and vivacious13.  Not super crazy
about the former, but the latter has a very clean, open, bright look,
which might or might not appeal to some of you.

My guess is that this is limited to superadmin because it's a security
hole--I can upload and edit at least executable php and perhaps more,
probably there are enough ways to |200T the box with some coding (I guess
I'd like to think it isn't worse than shell access, but I don't know).

Nevertheless I am willing to bump a few of you interested in working with
the template facility further to superadmin, because we need to do that if
we want to test things out.  I don't see the point in doing it for those
not interested in a little mambo hacking, though, and I'm presuming this
is a security hole the size of the Queen Mary so I'm not going to do it
for everyone.  Stan and Tom seem a bit interested, at least, you guys want
access to the template controls?

Finally, we still have a lot of example news items and such from the
install.  I suggest we follow up Stan's customizations by cleaning out
everything that isn't ours and make it really our own and see what we
think then.

Dustin