[SGVLUG] SCLUG meeting of December 10 - Topic

Gareth Greenaway gareth at wiked.org
Tue Dec 6 07:34:10 PST 2005

FYI,

----- Forwarded message from Orv Beach <orv at orvsplace.net> -----

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:49:40 -0800
From: Orv Beach <orv at orvsplace.net>
To: SCLUG <sclug at zdi.net>
Subject: [Sclug] SCLUG meeting of December 10 - Topic

Stu has kindly consented to talk at the SCLUG meeting of 12/10, and his
topic is a meaty one: Encrypted File Systems In Linux.  Bring your
propellor-beanies and be prepared to think hard!  Here's what Stu said:

"I will cover the difference between digests and ciphers, and VERY
briefly talk about ciphers available in the 2.6 kernel. I then will talk
about and demonstrate simple filesystem encryption using losetup and mount.
This will then be followed by a brief look at the loop-aesproject and
the advantages of using gpg to encrypt the encryption key itself. I will
then review and demonstrate the use of cryptsetup and cryptsetup-luks as
(what I believe to be) the future of file system encryption for Linux.
I will then hand a laptop to Gareth that has an encrypted root
filesystem, and challenge him to change the root password without
damaging any other files on the system. *grin*"

See you at the meeting!

Orv