[SGVLUG] NFD over Internet

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 4 15:55:57 PST 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 1:18 pm, Alex Roston wrote:
> Tom Emerson wrote:
> >On Sunday 04 December 2005 1:28 am, Alex Roston wrote:
> >>Lastly, if this isn't practical, what's the best (and hopefully easiet)
> >>way to implement an authentication system over the net?
> >
> >[...[ a "AAA-radius" server
>
> [...] How does the radius accounting
> system work? Can it provide details for each computer? Can the computers
> be grouped into classes, such as a "Motel 6" class or a "Best Western"
> class?

It's been a while since I used it [unfortunately, the coffee house owner sold
the business shortly after I got the wireless network running, and the new
owner went the route I intended from the start -- completely free -- so this
fell by the wayside pretty quickly]  However the system stores information in
a "standard" database [mysql, postgres, etc.]  so you can review it to your
hearts content.  The server already groups users by "realm", so building
groups for different hotels would be trivial.

What I would suggest would be to install "freeradius" and review the
documentation included with the install.

[...]

> How hard would it be to write a radius client?

The freeradius server comes with a client called "radclient" -- you might be
able to use it as-is for your application [pass it key/value pairs as stdin,
and the program will query the server and return the results; your program
would read these and take appropriate action]

--
Top o' the Blog: Too hot to handle
http://osnut.homelinux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html