[SGVLUG] questions about linux clusters

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Sun Dec 4 15:21:02 PST 2005

On Dec 4, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> jmd wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, you did not say what type of cluster you want to
>>> create.  That is important.
>>

>> a computation cluster. nothing for visualization or anything
>> extravagant. more than likely i will run apps from BOINC.
>
> Then unless you're running an OpenMosix or OpenSSI cluster, or
> BOINC uses some type of message passing system, it won't be much of
> a "cluster" as a "bunch of computers that don't communicate between
> nodes and work on the same problem".

Rocks comes with MPICH. i will stick with simple installs for now.
eventually i will probably end up with a single system image, like
openmosix.

i could be doing this on my sgi origin 2000s, but i don't have a
place to put them at home. and i am sure the electric bill would kill
me.

> You should not have any problems supporting several different
> hardware types on the various nodes.

hardware wise, all i need is memory and cpu fans for the asus board.
everything else is ready to go.

jeff