[SGVLUG] questions about linux clusters

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Sun Dec 4 14:27:50 PST 2005

On Dec 4, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> jmd wrote:
>
>> i am building a linux cluster for fun/home use. not for any sort
>> of  production. has anyone worked with them?
>
> Unfortunately, you did not say what type of cluster you want to
> create.  That is important.

a computation cluster. nothing for visualization or anything
extravagant. more than likely i will run apps from BOINC. all i
really care about at this point are the hardware issues. if i can get
a few nodes working together i will be happy. i don't really care if
this runs one setiathome or climate prediction work unit per cpu, or
threads one work unit to all cpus.

>> so my question is, will the disparity of the systems speed become
>> a  problem if i use the faster dual xeons as a head node.  i
>> realize  this will depend in part on the given application. since
>> this is a  learning experience, obtaining another eseries that
>> matches the other  2 and skipping the faster board is ok with me.
>
> Most clusters allow the nodes to run at different speeds.

this is the feeling i got from the book *high performance linux
clusters* from OReilly.

jeff