[SGVLUG] water cooled cases.

James Neff jneff at tethyshealth.com
Fri Dec 2 07:00:13 PST 2005

I know I'm new here, but I thought I'd throw in what little bit of
wisdom I have accumulated on this.

I never had a problem with heat in my PC until I started playing World
of Warcraft.  Other games I could run fine at full graphics with no
problem.  When I started playing WoW I would get the dreaded #132 error
anywhere from 5 mins to 4 hours into playing.  #132 is related to memory
errors and is generated by the application.  I would only crash to
desktop which made me think there was something defective in this game.
I read through all the tech support forums and did everything the vendor
recommended.  I then came across a post on the forums about my
motherboard (Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2).  Someone mentioned memory errors
in this model because the northbridge chip wasn't properly cooled.  The
factory cooler is a passive heatsink attached with a thermal pad.

I spent $25 at Newegg for a northbridge heatsink/fan and another 80mm
intake fan for the front of the case.  After installing I had no more
problems with WoW.  It turns out that WoW was pushing my hardware to the
limit and thus generating more heat than any other application.  The
extra heat was enough to cause a voltage leak somewhere between my
northbridge and memory.  The thing that probably helped the most was
replacing the factory thermal pad with the Artic Silver I got from Newegg.

Moral of the story:  take into consideration all of the aspects of the
system, and not just the cpu temp.  My northbridge chip was only warm to
the touch after I received a CTD (which means the heat wasn't
transfering to the heatsink).  Spend the extra $20-40 on the aftermarket
coolers, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

--Jim