[SGVLUG] Open Source Linux Survey

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Dec 1 13:16:05 PST 2005

Hmmm... define "powerful" -- just a SWAG, but I suspect "looks like outlook" is what the surveyor had in mind...

> and a lack of application support is also holding back Linux.

again, define "support" -- last I checked, openoffice is going strong, and IBM and Novell aren't just pretty faces in a crowd...

> Read the complete story.

OK -- where is it?

> If I wanted to become involved with application support how
> would I find out how to become an application support person?

which application, or does it matter?  (hint: it should...)  You should work with a program or application that you are familiar with (or are willing to learn)  Find out who is the primary maintainer -- chances are that there is a newsgroup or e-mail chat list related to the program, and that is probably one of the better starting points.  From there you can find out if anyone is providing direct "hands on" support and join them, or if not, start your own support company dedicated to that product.