[SGVLUG] Well its fun to be scared sometimes.

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 20:41:02 PDT 2005

On 8/31/05, Alan Horn <ahorn at deorth.org> wrote:

> I could argue that theres a greater likelihood of catastrophic hardware
> failure when it finally *is* powercycled.

No you would increase the changes of catastrophic hardware as you are
subjecting the system to more power cycles.

Regular preventive maintenance type work including reboots can be a Good
> Thing (tm)

Or maybe thats folklore ?

I don't believe that a reboot is a form of maintenance. It is a fix for a
broken OS, or an needed when upgrading a kernel(by definition every other
part of the OS does not need to remain in memory and so should be able to be
replaced, in a running system). Rebooting is also a good idea to make sure
the machine will return to the proper state after a reboot, but that is only
needed when you first configure or change a configuration.