[SGVLUG] Well its fun to be scared sometimes.

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:21:01 PDT 2005

Well I logged into one of our server a couple of minutes ago and happened to
check the uptime. 12hours and 36min.

My reaction "WHAT THE F$&@!". Did we have a powerfailure at the colo
facility? Did someone accedently unplug it. I checked another machine in the
same rack it had been up for 29days. I checked the logs and there was not
recent reboot in them. Then of coarse I realized this system had gone
through funny little quirks of linux, as the uptime is stored in a 32
integers. So after 497days and change the uptime rollover to 0 again.

So I get to do the happy dance I finally had a system rollover.