[SGVLUG] Are there any oracle gurus on this list?

Greg Stark gstark at electrorent.com
Tue Aug 30 17:19:14 PDT 2005

Do you really have to use Oracle.  Why not PostgreSQL!  It can do most
anything Oracle can.  Its Open Source. Runs on AIX as well...  :)  I use
PostgreSQL as a replacement for Oracle.

My favorite flavor was Oracle 8i.  I would worry about the flavor much at
this point.  9 made some things simpler and I am sure 10 does just a little
more.  The commands are the same, and so is SQLplus.  Just install, learn to
use the Enterprise manager GUI, make you databases and live happily ever
after (paying through the nose for it.)  Moving the database to AIX is the
consultants problem, migration is their middle name, and there are many ways
to skin that fish (that why he/she gets paid the big bucks.)  Can be as
simple as doing a Full Export then Import.  Depends on how big your DB is at
that point.

Greg