[SGVLUG] loverspy

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 15:39:10 PDT 2005

Hi,

--- Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

> On Monday 29 August 2005 06:48 pm, matti wrote:
> > SAN DIEGO — A 25-year-old fugitive was indicted Friday for creating
> and
> > marketing a software program called Loverspy that allowed buyers to
> > snoop on former or prospective sweethearts by breaking into their
> > computers.
>
> While I'll acknowledge that selling such a thing is probably
> unethical,
> why is it illegal?

from what I can tell, "spyware" isn't illegal
as LONG as you install it on a system you own(*),
and the product clearly states what it does.
(* or have authority to install it on)

the problem with the product and service in the above case
appears to having it installed on someone else's system
without their permission.

in this case it wasn't just the product - but the
also the service which was provided by the accused.

> Aren't we guaranteed the right to bear arms by the constitution?

well... that appears to depend on who you ask...
and which state you reside in.

best
matti