[SGVLUG] Audio processing with linux

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 30 08:46:21 PDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Claude Felizardo wrote:

> I've got some old recordings that my father had made decades ago that
> I'd like to clean up before burning to CD's for friends and relatives
> who remember him.  I've got WAV files for the recordings I digitized
> about 5 years ago but the recent files are WMV (I think) which I got
> last week from someone else.  They have the usual pops and clicks from
> 45 rpm records.  (I said these were old!)  Any suggestions?

This is probably a FAQ on Linux-Audio-Users, the main mailing list for
Linux Audio.  I'd recommend searching around their archive:

http://elists.resynthesize.com/linux-audio-users/

To get you started, here is a thread on the subject

http://elists.resynthesize.com/linux-audio-users/2005/07/1512096/

that recommends Gnome Wave Cleaner:

http://gwc.sourceforge.net/

I haven't used it, but it's probably your simplest option.  Also mentioned
is a mastering tool called Jamin, and here is a tutorial:

http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/tutorial.html

however, to make Jamin work you need Jack and possibly Ardour working,
which makes it considerably more complex just to get running.

My uninformed understanding is that in general de-noising is a difficult
art where the skill and experience of the sound engineer makes all the
difference, but the thread seems to suggest that Gnome Wave Cleaner may do
pretty well in simple cases without a deep understanding of what you're
doing.

If you use it, you'll probably be the local expert and can tell us all
about it. :-)

Dustin