[SGVLUG] Linux and then SCO !

Chris Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:31:47 PDT 2005

On 8/27/05, Ramsin Savra <ramsinsavra at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm asked to do maintenance on a Unix SCO machine. Honestly, I have never
> used it. Does anybody know what should I do? I mean is there any difference
> between Linux and Unix SCO?
>
> Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

I'm going to skip over the political arguments as others have covered
them very well.

First of all, until very recently, there were *two* SCO Unix products.
One based on the AT&T SysVR4 code, and SCO Open Desktop, which is
based on a very old SysVr3 code base who's only redeeming factor is
that it maintained compatibility with Xenix (arguably that is a
disadvantage). In general, I would say that Linux behaves a lot like
SysVR4 systems, so if it's the former, then you are probably not going
to find it a very jarring experience. Open Desktop on the other
hand.... <insert expletives here>. Perhaps the only good thing that
came out of SCO buying the Unix code base is that that evil beast is
finally going to die.

--
Chris