[SGVLUG] Linux and then SCO !

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 27 22:10:46 PDT 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Alex Roston wrote:

> I'd use a hammer.
>
> Ramsin Savra wrote:
>

> > Hi group,
> >
> > I'm asked to do maintenance on a Unix SCO machine. Honestly, I have
> > never used it. Does anybody know what should I do? I mean is there any
> > difference between Linux and Unix SCO?

In spite of the fact that he top-posted, my heart is with Alex.  In any
case, the difference between Linux and SCO Unix is about 11.5. :-)

Seriously, your question is unanswerable.  It's like asking "what's the
difference between Canada and the US"?  Depending on where, why, and how
long you plan to be in Canada, the answer can range from "nothing really"
(you're going on vacation to Glacier National Park and want to cross over
into Waterton NP (the Canadian piece of Glacier) for a couple of hours
driving tour) to a nearly infinite list of things large and small.  Any
specific answer to your question will have to assume something you didn't
say about what you actually need to do, and it will likely be wrong.
Otherwise, the only correct answer is as vague and general as the
question: yes, there are differences between Linux and SCO unix.

Did it help? :-)

The only way to get effective help is to learn to ask good questions on a
technical list.  In this case, what exactly you need to do on SCO is the
most important piece of information.

DUstin