[SGVLUG] Fwd: on this day in History

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Aug 26 15:02:49 PDT 2005

A couple of observances on the last paragraph:

     "Of course, of those 20, only a handful are relevant for high-performance computing, but it's still a big advantage," says Torvalds, who oversees Linux development from the Open Source Development Labs, a non-profit organization in Beaverton, Ore. "Linux is easy to get, has no licensing costs, has all the infrastructure in place, and runs on pretty much every single relevant piece of hardware out there."

 -- Here at work, the larger meeting rooms have a touch-pad display showing whether or not the room is available and who has it reserved; the other day someone "rebooted" the display and the first thing that showed up was "LILO..."

 -- When my dad recently flew on Virgin, he had a problem with his seat-back entertainment display, so he told the stewardess about it.  She rebooted it, and the first thing he saw was a penguin...

Now, room reservation screens and in-flight entertainment hardly qualifies as "super" computing, but it sure shows that "every relevant piece of hardware" can and does run Linux.

[it's a different matter entirely why either of these NEEDED rebooting in the first place, but I'll put that down to a knee-jerk reaction to a "non-responsive" display...]