[SGVLUG] RH9, upgrading from 2.4.20-8 to 2.4.31 and initrd

Robert Leyva Robert.Leyva at warnerbros.com
Tue Aug 23 14:41:21 PDT 2005

Greets,

Anyone know what modules I may need to manually add into the mkinitrd
command?

(I made my 2.4.31 kernel using "make oldconfig")

In "/boot" I do the default mkinitrd initrd-2.4.31.img 2.4.31 and get a
proper img file.

But during boot up I get a kernel panic about
VFS: cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00
please append a correct "root=" boot option

The thing is, I am using the same settings as the default entry in
/boot/grub.conf for 2.4.20-8.
The second entry starting with "title Red Hat Linux (2.4.31)" is what I
manually added.
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.31)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /bzImage-2.4.31 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.31.img

I think I may need to specify a module to pass as an argument to
mkinitrd, but am not sure of which module(s) it needs.

(sigh) I didn't have this trouble with Debian, as sarge doesn't use initrd.

--
---
"Knowledge is Power." -- Francis Bacon

Robert Leyva