How does it affect user groups Re: [SGVLUG] Linux Trade mark ...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Aug 22 10:59:13 PDT 2005

[and "below"}

> Note that this implies that they aren't even interested in what we do
> unless we use Linux as part of a trademark or without proper
> attributions.
> We aren't doing the first.  We may actually be using it without proper
> attribution, though, and I *can* imagine a polite letter asking us to
> attribute it.  We should probably do this anyway without being asked,
> because (IIRC) acknowledging their ownership of the mark
> strengthens their claim and makes it easier (read: less costly in the long run)
> to defend it.

Since this came up on the eve of rolling in a new website, it WAS on my mind to add a couple of lines here and there [perhaps on the "template"] to supply said attribution, but before I just off-and-do-this, I'd like some more yea/nay votes on whether it is necessary.

(perhaps this should be the first "poll"? ;) )