[SGVLUG] Linux Trade mark ...

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 21 23:17:21 PDT 2005

On Friday 19 August 2005 4:49 pm, matti wrote:
> fyi -
>
> Linux Trademark...
>
> best info from Maddog: / also check out [groklaw]

One comment that came up in both discussions was "do user groups have to pay?"
and the short answer is "probably not" [with several well-argued reasons why]
It does bring to mind that in the distant past, this group used to write it's
initials as "sgvllug" with two L's -- the full name being the "San Gabriel
Valley Linux Local User Group" [or was it "San Gabriel Valley Local Linux
User Group?"] -- the fact that I say "or was it..." was something I pointed
out was confusing and excessive about the name -- all physically-attended
user groups are "local" by definition, so two L's didn't really gain that
much.  I suggested dropping one (but would have accepted it if the others
insisted that they wanted it that way) the suggestion met little resistance,
so we now only use one L.

I *suppose* that if we were targeted for helping bolster LMI's warchest [and
if we decided that it wasn't in our best interests to do so (*)] we could
claim the dropped "L" was for Linux and call ourselves the "San Gabriel
Valley Local User Group" -- but then, we might have to let other folks attend
who would ask questions on how and why blue-screens occur and how to avoid
them [well, ok, we DO let those sorts of people attend, but the difference is
that we'd be somehow morally obligated to ANSWER those kinds of questions...]

[and with something other than "install linux" ;) ]

Tom

(*) or, more likely, that we "as a group" wouldn't want the hassle of
collecting funds for this particular cause -- that would mean we'd have to
appoint a treasurer and start to enforce some actual structure to the
group...

--
blogref temporarily disabled for the Rabbi's benefit ;)