[SGVLUG] DVD Player on Linux

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 17 20:49:26 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 7:41 pm, acidrein wrote:
> Get onto YOU and install the "mutimedia updates" to play mp3 files.

Ah yes -- that's their "pseudo" way around the problem.  I believe you have to
go through a click-thru license agreement to install that particular update
(similar to installing "microsoft fonts", which microsoft gives away under a
strange license anyway)  but in any case, it's a way for "them" to keep their
hands clean of the affair

> John Riehl wrote:
> > Emerson, Tom wrote:
> >> Kevin SoftDev
> >> does anyone knows some DVD player on Linux

> >> It's kind of hidden --
> >
> > Tom, thanks for the tip about packman.

OK, here's what you should do under SuSE:

under Yast, go to "change source of installation".  This brings up a mini-app
that lets you set multiple "sources" and enable/disable them.

choose "add new FTP source", and fill in as follows:

  Server name:  packman.iu-bremen.de
  directory:    suse/<version>  [i.e., "9.1", "9.2", or "9.3"]

use the anonymous logon, and click "OK"

Depending on server load, you *may* get an error -- yast doesn't always
gracefully recover, but try a second or third time -- more than that, and I
find it's better to ABORT and re-start the mini-app [I've had cases where
after "n" failed attempts, it WIPES OUT the entry entirely, and SOMETIMES
takes another entry with it...]

You can then go into the "install and remove software" mini app and you'll see
things like kaffeine version 7.0 [Suse goes up through 5, I believe],
"w32codec-all" [version 20050412-0.pm.0 or later] and similar items.
Generally the "version" number will have ".pm." in it to indicate it came
from packman.

[just refreshed and took a look -- had to update the paragraph above because I
originally said "kaffeine version 6.0", and I see it's now been further
upgraded...]  You'll also want:

   libdvdnav
   libdvdread
   libxine1  <--- this may be the "missing link"...
   libquicktime
and of course, w32codec-all as previously noted

Tom

p.s., as a kind of "while you're at it..." you may want to set up the
following "sources" as well:

   ftp: mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/suse/<arch>/<version>

[arch=x86_64 in my case w/64-bit athlon; I think it's i386 otherwise]  This
gives you an on-line mirror of what you get in the box [or nearly so, less a
few packages with strange licenses...]

   ftp:
mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/suse/<arch>/supplementary/KDE/update_for_<version>/yast-source

yes, KDE is in caps, update_for_version has underscores, and yast-source is
hyphenated -- have to get EVERYTHING right or it won't accept it [you would
think they could set up a mini ftp client that just does "dir" and "cd"
commands to help you "build" the proper target string]

--
blogref temporarily disabled for the Rabbi's benefit ;)