[SGVLUG] ack -- finally got "wormed" at work

Marsden MacRae mmacrae at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 17 10:56:26 PDT 2005

Zack, James wrote:
> It's getting to the point where a vulnerability is revealed and a worm/virus
> written to exploit it before the vendors have a patch available.  So having
> a system fully up to date doesn't assure you protection (heck, nothing
> does!)
>
> Include a good external firewall or two, an IDS, a very restrictive desktop
> policy, and the diligence to check frequently that nothing out of the
> ordinary is running on top of your anti-virus/spyware and I would say you
> have a better chance than most at surviving a worm.
>
> All that costs a pile of money... Something a lot of places cannot afford to
> do.
>
> Safest PC in the world is the one locked inside a airtight vault.
>
> -JZ

Yes, the convenience store that's never robbed is the one that never
unlocks its doors, but then it never has customers either; one has to
have good policies, use best practices and take as few chances as
possible, but no one is totally safe if connected to anyone.

Just a note to the list: thanks for the discussion of clamwin, you
convinced my bosses to let me install it here. Wahoo!

Marsden