[SGVLUG] ack -- finally got "wormed" at work

Zack, James jzack at unex.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 17 10:50:40 PDT 2005

It's getting to the point where a vulnerability is revealed and a worm/virus
written to exploit it before the vendors have a patch available.  So having
a system fully up to date doesn't assure you protection (heck, nothing
does!)

Include a good external firewall or two, an IDS, a very restrictive desktop
policy, and the diligence to check frequently that nothing out of the
ordinary is running on top of your anti-virus/spyware and I would say you
have a better chance than most at surviving a worm.

All that costs a pile of money... Something a lot of places cannot afford to
do.

Safest PC in the world is the one locked inside a airtight vault.

-JZ