[SGVLUG] ack -- finally got "wormed" at work

Zack, James jzack at unex.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 17 09:19:12 PDT 2005

We outright block certain file types here.  .pif, .exe, .com, .bat, .msi
among a few others.  We also use three layers of antivirus with emails,
starting with a barracuda spam firewall on the outside, then Trend Micro on
our email server itself, and finally Sophos antivirus at the file level in
case anything misses the other two.  We block outright those files with
generally malicious extensions (.exe, .com, etc) at the spam firewall level.

We have not been hit with an email-borne virus since we implemented those
changes.

-JZ