[SGVLUG] Test site update -- mambo stuff

Jean Chen narsil at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 00:13:44 PDT 2005

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply!

I don't have either Trenchant Observations or Profound Objections so I
would be happy to use Mambo.

On 8/8/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Jean, I know you preferred Twiki and Plone and didn't much like Mambo, so
> it looks like you preferred the less structured systems.  Care to chime
> in on why?

Well, I like the less structured systems because they're more
straightforward.  In Mambo I clicked around several administrator
menus and it wasn't easy to see which piece of content listed
corresponded to which piece of content on the site.  I think I'm
starting to get the hang of it now, though.

I like Twiki because we as a group have so much knowledge that it
seems like Twiki would best support us patching that knowledge
together and making some really interesting informational pages.  I
like Plone because to me it seems super-pared down and clean, but I
haven't looked at it as much as I should have so maybe I just got a
nice first impression.

Tom, your points are extremely good, and Mambo does seem to have a lot
of neat addons.  I think there's a way around your complaint about
Plone, but I'm not sure yet and since we want to get moving it's not a
big deal.  I'd be happy to use Mambo.

Dustin, thanks so much for installing all of these CMSes.  I love
checking out different approaches to a problem.  I could play with
them all day if I had the chance, and I wish that I did!  :(

Jean