[SGVLUG] Linux Audio

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Fri Aug 5 20:55:47 PDT 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Douglas Burton wrote:

> Yup, there's ethernet throughout the building.

And there may be at Dr. Music but they may not be so willing to just run
us a cable.  So that's another point in favor of your work.

As we speak, I'm installing the DeMuDi (Debian Music Distribution)
packages on top of Sarge.  Is anyone brave/foolish enough to want to
install the equivalent for their distro?  (Planet CCRMA for Fedora,
Audioslack for Slackware, etc.)  If so, it would be sort of useful if you
try it before the meeting and can give us an idea of how it went.  Or, if
you want to try it in public or aren't sure how, we might be able to to
help you do it at this proposed meeting.  Any takers?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about: the Linux Pro Audio
programs tend to work very closely together, since most of them can use
the same plugins (LADSPA) and connect through the same sound daemon
(JACK).  Not only that, but it tends to help to use a kernel specially
crafted for low-latency.  So people put together special packages that
replace/add the pro audio components to an existing distro.  The ones I
named seem to be the most popular, along with probably something for
Mandrake.

You can do it without any help, of course, and that's what I was doing
initially, but I gather that in practice nearly everybody uses these
subdistros for convenience.

Dustin