[SGVLUG] auto shutdown when ups indicates power out

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:53:37 PDT 2005

On 7/26/05, Eric Theis <eric_theis at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 10:40 am, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:
> > On 7/25/05, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Ok - getting a new APC UPS with USB comm cable...
> > >

> > > Question - has anyone setup a linux system to
> > > shutdown with this unit?
> >
> > Last time I checked linux did not support the usb cable but APC would
> > send you a serial cable. They also had some java based utilities for
> > linux. I never got automatic shutdown to work myself as the server I
> > wanted to protect would crush the UPS, when the power went out.
> Actually if you look at the APCUPSD project, you will see that they can now do
> USB.  http://www.apcupsd.org/  I have an OLD proliant 1600 which is hooked up
> to a APC USB UPS (come on, one more TLA can't hurt).
>
> Eric

Hey thanks for the link.
I've got a bunch of UPS's at home but I'd been putting off shutdown
software because the last time I checked monitoring via USB wasn't
supported.  I checked the website, saw that my UPS was listed and
downloaded the latest RPM.  It recognized my set up immediately and
everything just worked.  I then tuned a few parameters such as minimal
battery charge and time left and I was good to go.  I tested it using
the test script and yanking the plug and it sent out the email
messages.  Didn't feel like doing a full test but I'm sure it will
work.  I can even monitor the UPS load, battery charge, temp and run
time.  pretty darn cool!  I guess I should install for the rest of the
desktops -  too bad i can't do anything for the TiVo's...

claude